Top 10 Best Pickleball BallsCheck out our review of the top 10 best pickleball balls. We show you the best indoor and outdoor pickleballs, as well as options for playing in low-light, or for quicker gameplay.
1. Onix Pure 2 Outdoor PickleballsOur top pick for the best outdoor pickleball is the Onix Pure 2 Pickleball. This beautifully designed and made pickleball is suitable for all outdoor weather conditions, including wind and rain. The Onix Pure 2 pickleballs have unrivaled flight, and respond off the pickleball paddle face as intended. Available in a host of different packet sizes, the Onix Pure 2 make great pickleballs for any player.
- “Authentic Bounce Technology” ensures even bounce on any surface
- 40 Precision drilled holes in the pickleball create even ball flight
- 25-gram weight makes the ball perfect for outdoor pickleball play
2. Dura Fast 40 Outdoor PickleballsNext on our best pickleballs list is the Dura Fast 40 Outdoor Pickleball. What more is there to say about the Dura Fast 40 other than it is the official tournament pickleball for the US Open, Spanish Open, and the Bainbridge Cup. The Dura Fast 40 has a seamless design and is made from a durable, hard plastic that stands up to hard play for long durations. The Dura Fast 40 could easily be names the best pickleball ball on the market.
- Seamless structure makes for an even weight distribution – available in orange, green, yellow and white
- Heavier ball weight ensures even flight path off the paddle face
- Used for years as the US Open Championship ball of choice
3. Jugs Indoor PickleballsNext on our list is the Jugs Indoor pickleball and our pick as the best indoor pickleball ball out there. Unlike the Onix Pure 2 and the Dura Fast 40, the Jugs Indoor ball is built from a softer plastic that gives it a lightweight feel. The Jugs ball also has larger holes that contribute to the light structure – a great ball on any surface, including, smooth hardwood, tiles, and cement. recreational use. Standout Features
- Great indoor pickleball that is a favorite for many indoor players
- Insane bounce-ability, creating a very reactive and bouncy pickleball – creating fast, fun games
- Textured-surface make the ball ‘spinnable’
4. TOP Outdoor PickleballsNot many people know but the next ball on our best balls list is known as the ‘Top Outdoor Pickleball”, and so aptly names the TOP Pickleball. This classic pickleball is known for its durability, hard-wearing plastic and seamless design. With very similar performance to the Dura Fast 40, this is a great pickleball for outdoor use.
- USAPA approved pickleball, with seamless design
- Excellent ball-weight and construction make it a durable, strong ball
- Perfect for back of court ball-striking practice
5. Onix Fuse G2 Outdoor PickleballsThe Onix Fuse G2 is another pickleball designed by Onix. The biggest difference between the Fuse and Pure balls, is the feel during contact. The Fuse has a lighter feel than the Pure 2 pickleball and is also available in green.
- Precision drilled holes ensure even flight path in any conditions
- For use indoors and outdoors and on any playing surface – 3x more durable than the previous Onix Fuse model
- Lighter feel during contact than the Onix Pure 2 Pickleballs
6. Dura Indoor Big Hole PickleballsNext on our best pickleballs list is the Dura Indoor Big Hole Pickleball. Slightly lighter than the Dura Fast 40, the Indoor Big Hole ball has larger holes in the surface of the ball, which makes for a lighter touch during ball contact. Construction-wise, there is no difference between then Dura indoor ball and the Fast 40’s, so if you want the same ball quality with an indoor focus, this ball is for you.
- Larger holes make for a lighter weight ball than the Dura Fast 40’s
- Same seamless construction with hard plastic as the Dura Fast 40’s
- Heavy pickleball with even ball flight, and smooth contact off the face of the pickleball paddle
7. Jugs Midnight Indoor PickleballsThe Jugs Midnight Indoor pickleball takes a very well-deserved place on our best pickleballs list. The Jugs Midnight ball is perfect for use in gyms and for players who want more contrast between the ball and their surroundings. With a distinct pink color, these balls are perfect for use during the day or in dim light.
- Light, fast, energetic pickleball that is perfect for indoor use
- Bright pink design ensures the ball to stand out against dull indoor backgrounds
- Quality craftsmanship, ensuring durable, hard-wearing pickleball that will last
8. Nuipipo Indoor & Outdoor PickleballsNext up on our best pickleball balls list are the Nuipipo pickleball balls. Offering a solid outdoor pickleball that can also be used inside, this affordable, quality pickleball is a great option for anyone who wants a viable alternative to an Onix or Jugs ball.
- Weighty pickleballs with “Authentic Bounce Technology” – ensures strong flight path and even bouncing patterns
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor use
- Viable alternative to Onix and Jugs pickleballs
9. Franklin X-40 Outdoor PickleballsNumber nine on our best pickleball balls list is the Franklin X-40. The Franklin X-40 pickleballs are very sturdy, hard-wearing pickleballs that work great on an outdoor court. Available in dark green and pink shades (as well as white) they are the perfect option for someone who wants a quality pickleball that contrasts well against outdoor surroundings.
- Available in stand-out green and dark pink (as well as white) giving the ball contrast against outdoor environments
- Seamless design made from hard-wearing plastic ensures even ball flight and durability
- 26 gram pickleball weight sits within USAPA guidelines and is suitable for tournament use
10. GAMMA Photon Outdoor PickleballsThe last pickleball on our best pickleballs list is the GAMMA Photon Outdoor pickleball. This versatile ball is suitable for intermediate to high-level players and has all the attributes of a top-level pickleball. Available in high-visibility colors, this pickleball stands out wherever you’re playing outdoor pickleball.
- High-visibility green coloring stands out when playing indoors or outdoors
- Sturdy, well-balanced pickleballs that are hard-wearing
- Conditioned straight out of the box, meaning they play perfectly from the first hit
Pickleball Balls Buyers GuideFinding the ideal pickleball balls for yourself can be challenging if you don’t know what to consider. Factors such as the type, materials, weight, color, and size are crucial to take into account when picking the best pickleball balls in the market. And that is why we have created the pickleball buyers’ guide to help you find the most suitable pickleball ball for your game.
Type: Indoor or Outdoor pickleball balls?Outdoor pickleball balls are usually heavier and harder, made from smooth plastic. These may typically have 40 drilled holes, and they deflect way less given their weight and construction. These types of pickleballs are generally more responsive than indoor pickleball balls, and easier to hit. Also, these balls have a greater bounce and have less drag than indoor balls. But, on the downside, outdoor balls can be more difficult to control as they need to be placed and hit accurately. Indoor pickleball balls, on the other hand, are typically softer and feature larger holes than outdoor balls. And although they are easier to control, it can be harder to slam them, since they have more drag. However, the texture on these balls allow you to give them more spin.
Durability and longevityThe total lifespan of a pickleball ball may vary from a few rounds to substantially longer periods of time. Outdoor pickleballs may not last longer than the indoor ones. You can expect them to crack or go out-of-round after a while, for that matter. While indoor pickleball can last for longer periods of time. And although indoor balls don’t generally crack, they will develop soft spots after extended periods of use. The longevity of a pickleball ball depends on factors such as the playing surface, how hard the ball is hit, the temperature of the surroundings, etc. The durability of these balls will vary from one brand to another. And some will crack earlier than others.
ManufacturingPickleball balls are manufactured using either an injection-molding method or a rotational molding process. Indoor balls are primarily made by injection molding, where the two halves are glued at the seams together. This is one of the main reasons why indoor balls get soft-spots and lose their shapes over time. On the other hand, outdoor pickleball balls are typically made using the rotational molding method that eliminates all weak spots. This makes the pickleball balls much more durable and capable of resisting substantial impacts.
MaterialThe best pickleball balls are made using thermoset plastics such as acrylic, melamine, epoxies, etc. Thermoset plastics are heated and cooled and molded into the required shapes to form a durable structure. Materials such as virgin thermoset pellets or aged pellets are primarily used to make pickleball balls. Virgin plastic is a superior-quality material that ensures higher durability, and that is why it is generally used to manufacture outdoor pickleball balls.
ColorPickleball balls usually come in a wide range of loud, popping colors. The most popular ones include orange, yellow and white for outdoor pickleball balls. But, you could also find shades like lime-green, midnight-dyed, or multicolored ones for indoor balls. The colors of a pickleball ball help you locate and hit it even in poor light conditions. This is a vital aspect to know of, before settling on any shade so that you perform better with it even in the absence of natural light.
Diameter and weightGetting the weight and the diameter of your pickleball ball right is a crucial aspect, which significantly affects your overall performance. For an indoor pickleball ball, you can go with an approximate weight of 0.81 with a 2.8 inches diameter. While, on the other hand, outdoor pickleball balls will be a bit heavy, weighing around 0.9 oz with a 2.9 inches diameter. These figures will help you make the most out of a quality pickleball ball in every match that you play.
ConclusionAnd that concludes our extensive guide to some of the best pickleball balls you can find out there in the market right now! We hope that we were able to help you come to a well-informed decision about the subject of pickleballs Here’s wishing you all the best for your upcoming pickleball event. Also, Check our recent reviews on pickleball Shoes and Nets.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Pickleball Balls?
Pickleball balls are hollow, plastic balls that are used to play the popular sport of pickleball. Pickleballs are approved by the USAPA (USA Pickleball Association) for official use, and are generally classified into indoor and outdoor pickleball categories. Here at PickyPickleball.com we compare and review all of the best pickleballs on the market.
What are Pickleballs made from?
Pickleballs are made from hard-wearing plastic, and contain specially drilled holes in their surface which aid ball-flight. Some pickleballs are made with a seamless design in a process of rotational-molding, whereas others are constructed by welding two halves of the ball together.
What is the difference between indoor and outdoor Pickleballs?
Indoor pickleballs tend to be lighter than outdoor pickleballs as they have larger holes drilled into their surface area. Indoor pickleballs can have larger holes as they do not need to worry about the impact of wind on their ball-flight. Outdoor pickleballs also tend to be heavier than indoor pickleballs, as they need the weight to combat windy or rainy weather conditions. All indoor and outdoor pickleballs need to be approved by the USAPA for official tournament use.
Who makes Pickleballs?
There are so many brands out there that manufacture pickleballs. Some of the best and well-known brands include Onix, Jugs and Franklin. If you are looking to purchase a bag of pickleballs, make sure you check out our guide to the best pickleball balls available.
What are the best Pickleballs you can buy?
There are some great pickleballs available for purchase via PickyPickleball.com. These balls include the Onix Pure 2 Outdoor pickleball, Dura Fast 40 and the Jugs Indoor Pickleball. With that said, choosing the best pickleball for you really comes down to your unique needs. There are balls that are designed for indoor and outdoor use, as well as balls that are colored with high-contrast colors to stand out against dull backdrops. We also show you balls that are not approved by the USAPA but still make a great ball for recreational use. Check out our best pickleballs guide to learn more.